Deadline for abstracts: 30 November 2017
Place: Paris, 27-28 June 2018
The politics of Islam in Europe and North America has become critically important across political science and related disciplines. The Project on Middle East Political Science (POMEPS) and the Centre de recherches internationales (CERI) Sciences Po, Paris invite proposals for short papers exploring questions related to the politics of Islam in Europe and North America for a workshop to be held in Paris on June 27-28, 2018.
The workshop is interdisciplinary and comparative in approach and encourages proposals from all methodological approaches.
Questions to be explored might include, but are not limited to:
- Electoral politics and collective mobilization among Muslims
- Islamic political groups and movements
- Islamic civic associations and nongovernmental organizations
- The politics of refugees and migration from the Middle East and North Africa
- Religiously motivated extremism and violence
- State securitization and the impacts of counterterrorism strategies
- Transnational networks and international influence
- Changing sources of religious authority
- Islamic political thought in diaspora or minority contexts
- The political economy and marketization of Islam
- Muslim minorities and foreign policy of European and North American states
Selected participants will be expected to circulate a short essay of approximately 2,000 words at least two weeks prior to the workshop. The workshop will discuss each paper intensively, and after revisions all papers will be published as an issue of the open access POMEPS Studies series. POMEPS will cover all travel expenses.
Participants should be at least a degree candidate (i.e. ABD – for those unfamiliar with the U.S. system, please note this means PhD candidates who have completed all coursework) or have a PhD in political science or related discipline.
To submit a proposal, please complete this form, including a one paragraph description of the proposed paper and your CV in a single PDF no later than Monday, November 30, 2017.
For more information, see POMEPS website.